1 Program Overview:
Canadian citizens or permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents or grandparents can fill out the interest to sponsor form available at the beginning of the year for a limited time.
If an invitation is received the sponsor must submit the application package (send both the sponsor ship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time) within 60 days from the date of the invitation.
The sponsor must prove that they meet the minimum necessary income requirement (MNI = LICO + 30%) by providing their Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the last three taxation years before the date of application. If they don’t have their last year's NOA, they must submit their three years' NOAs before that.
2 2019 Minimum Necessary Income Requirement Table (LICO +30%):
|Total number of persons you would be responsible for||2018||2017||2016||2015|
|If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add:||$8,740||$8,616||$8,522||$8,358|
3 Key Notes:
- The interest to sponsor form is available online at the beginning of the year for a limited time.
- Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship is LICO + 30% from the date on which IRCC receives the sponsorship application until the day your family members become permanent residents of Canada. Any child benefit, employment insurance or social assistance (other than disability assistance) received can not be included in the income calculation.
- Duration of the parents/grandparents sponsorship undertaking (for both the sponsor and the co-signer, if any) is 20 years from the date your parents/grandparents become permanent residents of Canada.
4 Eligibility Requirements:
a Sponsor Eligibility:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Be a Canadian, a permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian
- Resides in Canada
- Sign a sponsorship agreement with the sponsored relative committing to provide financial support if necessary
- Sign an undertaking (for parents/grandparents the duration is 20 years from the day on which the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident)
- Be not under a removal order or detained in jail, prison, or penitentiary
- Be not convicted for committing or attempting to commit a violent offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years, unless a pardon or acquittal is received or 5 years have elapsed since the completion of an imposed sentence
- Be not an undischarged bankrupt or in default of repayment of any debt
- Be not in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability
- Meet income requirements (LICO+30%) for the last 3 taxation years before applying.
b Eligibility of the Sponsored Persons:
- Must not be inadmissible
- Have genuine relationship with the sponsor
- Meet medical examination requirement
5 Application Process:
- Submitting the interest to sponsor form (as early as possible while it's available)
- Getting an invitation to apply
- Getting the application package
- Submitting the complete application within 60 days
- Submitting additional information if requested by IRCC
- Sponsor eligibility review and application processing by IRCC
- Receiving Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and PR Visa
- Landing in Canada and receiving permanent resident card
6 Related Expenses:
- Application Fees: $1,040 (incl. $75 sponsorship fee and $475 principal applicant processing fee and $490 right of permanent resident fee); dependent children: $150/per child.
- Biometrics Fees: Per Person: $85; Family (2 or more): $170
- Third-party fees: medical exams, police certificates, language testing, notary, translation, delivery and postage, etc.
- Aladdin Immigration fees (excluding any government or third party charges)