Caregiver Program

1 Program Overview:

On June 18, 2019 the federal government launched two new 5-year pilot programs to replace the expiring Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots. The two new pilots, Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker, provide caregivers from abroad and their families with a clear, direct pathway to permanent residence.

The two new pilots will each have a maximum of 2,750 principal applicants, for a total of 5,500 principal applicants per year, plus their immediate family.

Caregivers will now only receive a work permit if they have a job offer in Canada and meet standard criteria for economic immigration programs. Once working in Canada, caregivers will be able to begin gaining the required 2 years of Canadian work experience to apply for permanent residence. The application process will be different depending on the applicant's situation and how much qualifying work experience they have.

Work Experience Required for Permanent Residence (PR) Application:

2 years of full-time qualifying work experience (1560 hours/ 30 hour per week if working full time for a year) or equivalent in part-time (non continuous experience is acceptable)

2-Step Process:

Applicants can apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, depending on which occupation they plan to work in.  The application is a 2-step process:

Step 1:

    • Obtain a job offer and submit applications for permanent residence and work or study permit(s) for yourself and your family
    • Get an occupation-specific work permit to obtain the 2 year work experience required for permanent residence
    • Get work or study permit for your spouse or common-law partner and children to come with you

Step 2:

    • Once you have accurate two years of work experience, send work experience proof documents to IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) to finalize your permanent resident application
    • Receive Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa


2 Benefits and advanges of the new pilots:

  • With the move to occupation-specific work permits, employers will no longer need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before hiring a caregiver from overseas
  • Occupation-specific work permits, rather than employer-specific, to allow for a fast change of employers when necessary without affecting their immigration status
  • Open work permits and/or study permits for the caregivers' immediate family, to help families come to Canada together
  • A clear transition from temporary to permanent status, to ensure that once caregivers have met the work experience requirement, they will be able to become permanent residents quickly
  • Initial applications to the new pilots will have a 12-month processing service standard. A 6-month processing standard will apply for finalizing an application after the caregiver submits proof that they have met the work experience requirement.


3 Eligibility Requirements:


You must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada, or foreign equivalent -education credential assessment (ECA) is required


    • CLB 5 for English (NCLC 5 for French) in all 4 language skills
    • You need to take a language test to prove you meet the minimum language skills

Job Offer:

    • need to have a genuine and valid full-time (at least 30 hours of paid work per week) job offer made using IMM5983 (Offer of Employment form) from a Canadian employer outside the province of Quebec;
    • the employer cannot be an embassy, high commission or consulate

    • Home Care Provider (NOC 4411):
    • You must care for children under the age of 18 in your own home or in your employer’s home
    • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify
    • Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count

    • Home Support Worker (NOC 4412):
    • You must care for someone who needs help from a home support worker either in your own home or in your employer’s home
    • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify
    • Only home support workers are eligible under NOC 4412
    • Experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count

Ability to Do the Work:

IRCC uses any past experience or training you have to decide if you’re able to do the work described in the NOC job description (lead statement)


You must be admissible to Canada (e.g. if you drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs, including cannabis, you may be inadmissible for serious criminality.)


Must intend to live outside the province of Quebec

4 Related occupations:

Home child care providers (NOC 4411 ) occupations:

  • (experience as a foster parent doesn’t count)
  • au pair
  • au pair girl
  • babysitter
  • babysitter – fitness centre
  • babysitter – shopping centre
  • babysitting caregiver
  • child care live-in caregiver
  • child care provider – private home
  • child caregiver – private home
  • child minder
  • children's guardian
  • family child care provider
  • governess – child care
  • home child care provider
  • kinship care provider
  • kinship caregiver
  • live-in nanny
  • nanny
  • parent's helper

Home support workers and related occupations (NOC 4412 ):

(experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count)

  • attendant for persons with a visual impairment – home care
  • attendant for persons with disabilities – home care
  • client care attendant – home care
  • companion
  • doula
  • family caregiver
  • family worker – home care
  • home health care worker
  • home support attendant
  • home support worker
  • home visitor – infant care
  • home-care worker
  • homemaker
  • live-in caregiver – persons with disabilities
  • live-in caregiver – seniors
  • personal aide – home support
  • personal assistant – home care
  • personal care aide – home care
  • personal care attendant – home care
  • personal care provider – home care
  • personal support aide – home aide
  • personal support worker – home support
  • respite worker – home support
  • teaching homemaker
  • visiting homemaker


5 In-Canada Application Eligibility:

You can only use the in-Canada application if you’re currently in Canada and:

  • have a valid study or work permit, are on implied status or eligible for restoration
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • you’ve graduated from a program at a:
  • Canadian university
  • community college
  • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
  • other eligible school
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job


6 Application Process (for both In-Canada and Outside Canada applications)

  • Get a genuine and valid job offer made with Offer of Employment IMM 5983 form in an eligible occupation (NOC 4411 or NOC 4412) from a Canadian Employer outside the province of Quebec
  • Complete application (for both work permit and permanent residence) and pay fees
  • Submit application and give biometrics
  • IRCC reviews your application to determine if you meet the requirements
  • IRCC makes decision on your work permit application
  • You receive an occupation-specific (not employer-specific) open work permit
  • You arrive in Canada with your passport, visa, and work permit approval letter
  • You start working in Canada in an eligible occupation (not mandatory to live in the employer's house)
  • Get at least 24 months of work experience to qualify for permanent residence
  • Send proof of work experience (job offers, contracts, pay stubs, CRA tax information) to IRCC to finalize the application
  • IRCC makes a final decision on your PR application and requests you to submit original passport(s) to the processing office (if your application is approved)
  • You receive Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and PR Visa

7 Related Expenses:

Government fees:

Open work permit: $255/each

Permanent residence: principal applicant: $1,040 (incl. $550 processing fee and $490 right of permanent resident fee - RPRF); spouse or common-law partner: $1,040; dependent children: $150/per child

Biometrics fees: one person: $85; family (2 or more): $170


Other third-party fees (if applicable):

medical exams, police certificates, language test, Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), translation, notary, delivery and postage


Aladdin Immigration fees

(excluding any government or third party charges)