Spouse (or Common-Law Partner) Open Work Permit


Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • are a full-time students with a valid study permit enrolled at an eligible designated learning institution (i.e. a DLA such as a public post-secondary school, a private college-level school in Quebec, or a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees)
  • are a skilled worker (FSW) in Canada in an occupation under NOC 0, A, or B with a valid work permit of at least 6 months (e.g. post-graduate work permit, bridging open work permit, working holiday work permit, etc.), or
  • are a skilled worker in an occupation under NOC 0, A, or B who has submitted the provincial nominee application (PNP)
  • are a skilled worker applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIP) in a job under NOC 0, A, B or C
  • are a skilled worker who has submitted Canadian Experience Class (CEC) application and bridging open work permit (BOWP) application for your spouse or common-law partner
  • reside in Canada with valid status and your application of Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class is being finalized


Application Process:

You can apply for the work permit online or on paper. Usually applications are submitted online. All documents can be scanned, signed, and submitted online.

  • Prepare and scan documents
  • Create online account and pay fees
  • Fill out, sign and date the forms
  • Submit the application
  • Give biometrics (if applicable) and wait for approval
  • Receive the work permit


Application Documents:

  • Application form (IMM 5710)
  • Document Checklist
  • Proof of payment
  • Electronic photo
  • Scans of the information pages of your valid passport (clearing showing the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, your photo, name and date of birth, stamps made by the Canadian authorities for your entry, any other marked pages)
  • Scan of your Marriage Certificate or the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form (IMM 5409)
  • Evidence that your family member has valid study permit, work permit and/or legal status (PR card, citizenship certificate, etc.)
  • Scan of your family member's employment letter, job offer or contract and last 3 month's pay stubs, or
  • Scan of your family member's enrollment letter for full-time studies in an eligible Canadian DLI.


Related Expenses:

Government Fees:

Open Work Application Fees: $255