Study Permit - Primary & Secondary Program (with GIC)


The primary and secondary program provides a simplified application process for applicants who meet all the requirements of a study permit.


Eligibility Requirements:

To qualify, you must provide evidence of:

  • Acceptance by an eligible primary or secondary school;
  • Sufficient financial support for the duration of your studies; and
  • Completion of a medical examination before submitting your application


How to Apply

Application can be submitted online or by paper to a Canadian visa application centres (VAC).

As of April 30th 2019, study permit applications submitted through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) must be submitted online.

Application Documents  (for applicants in China)

  • Completed “Application for a Study Permit” (IMM 1294). If your spouse or common-law partner and/or children will accompany you, they need to complete their own application using the appropriate application form.
  • Family Information Form [IMM 5707], fully completed, dated and signed. You must answer every question. If not applicable, write N/A.
  • Education, Employment and Travel” form for you, your mother and your father, completed in English or French AND Chinese, for Chinese applicants only.
  • Your valid passport. There must be one completely blank page other than the last page available page in the passport. The passport should be valid for the duration of proposed study.
  • Two (2) photos. All photos must meet the requirements of the Photo specifications appendix . On the back of one photo in each set, write the name and date of birth of the person appearing in the photo.
  • Copy of your national identity document (two sides).
  • The correct processing fee in the acceptable format (refer to the Fee schedule). Fee is non-refundable. If you need to give your biometrics, the $85 CAD biometric fee covers the VAC service charge.
  • A copy of the medical examination form given to you by the Panel Physician.
  • Custodianship declaration from your parent(s) and from the custodian in Canada, if you are under 18 years of age.
  • If you are aged 18 years old or more, please submit a study plan that includes :
  • Why you chose the institution and program of study you were admitted to in Canada
  • Your overall educational goals
  • How the Canadian program and qualifications will prepare you for your intended field of work
  • An official copy of your most recent transcript (primary and secondary) with a translation in English or French, if the document is in Chinese.
  • Your original household registration (hukou).
  • If someone has assisted you in completing this application, please fill out the “Use of representative form ” (IMM5476)
  • A copy of a valid Letter of Acceptance from an accredited primary/secondary educational institution in Canada.
  • If you are intending to study in Québec: Evidence of a valid Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ).
  • Police Certificates: If you are 18 years old or above. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
  • Evidence of the purchase of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating financial institution in the amount of $10,000 CAD.
  • Copy of receipts for tuition payment for your first year provided by your institution in Canada.
  • Evidence of your parents’ income/employment: Original letters of employment from the current employer. If either or both of your parents own a business or part of a business: A notarized copy of the business registration.
  • If applicable, please submit your Property Ownership Certificate” and “Motor Vehicle Register Certificate.”
  • If applicable, scholarships/other funding: Original letter containing details of the funding you are to receive during each year of your proposed course of study.