Study Permit - Regular Student Program


Applicants who don’t meet the eligibility for faster processing may still be eligible for a study permit through the regular study permit application process.


How to Apply:

Application can be submitted online or by paper to a Canadian visa application centres (VAC)


Eligibility Requirements:

To qualify, you must:

  • have been accepted by an eligible Canadian college or university or secondary school
  • primary/secondary schools that are accredited provincial public and private education
  • institutions, or

post-secondary schools that are eligible designated learning institutions (DLI)

  • demonstrate you have the English or French language abilities required by the institution
  • provide evidence of sufficient financial support for the duration of your studies

Application Documents (for applicants in China)

As IRCC will assess your study permit application based on the documents you submit, make sure you submit all the required documents and at the same time as your application and processing fee. If any document is in a foreign language, an English or French translation is required.

  • Completed “Application for a Study Permit” (IMM 1294). If your spouse or common-law partner and/or children will accompany you, they need to complete their own application using the appropriate application form.
  • Family Information Form [IMM 5707], fully completed, dated and signed. You must answer every question. If not applicable, write N/A.
  • “Education, Employment and Travel” form for you and your parents completed in English or French AND Chinese, for Chinese applicants only
  • Your valid passport. There must be one completely blank page other than the last page available in the passport. If possible, the passport should be valid for the duration of proposed study.
  • Two (2) photos. All photos must meet the requirements of the Photo specifications appendix . On the back of one photo, write the name and date of birth of the person appearing in the photo.
  • Copy of your national identity document (two sides)
  • The correct processing fee in the acceptable format (refer to the Fee Schedule). Fee is non- refundable. If you need to give your biometrics, the $85 CAD biometric fee covers the VAC service charge.
  • “Use of representative form” (IMM5476), if applicable
  • A Study Plan including a description of your program of studies as it relates to your academic, technical, or vocational background and future career goals (maximum 1 page long)
  • Your original household registration (hukou).
  • Custodianship declaration from your parent(s) and from the custodian in Canada if you are under 18 years of age.
  • A copy of a valid Letter of Acceptance from the Admissions/Registrar’s Office of one of the Designated institution in Canada OR a valid letter of acceptance of your primary or secondary
  • If you are intending to study in Québec: Evidence of a valid Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ).
  • If you are 18 years of age or above: You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
  • You must show you have sufficient funds available to cover your stay in Canada. At a minimum, this would be $10,000 CAD per year. Include evidence of accumulated funds that show a history of at least twelve (12) months. Examples of documents you can submit:
  • original Certificates of Deposit, dated within the last two (2) months showing current
  • funds available;
  • original deposit slips and/or original bank passbooks; and
  • original house/vehicle certificates;
  • written explanation as to the source of funds.
  • Evidence of your parents’ income/employment: Original letters of employment from the current employer (If either or both of your parents own a business or part of a business: A notarized copy of the business registration)
  • If applicable, scholarships/other funding: Original letter containing details of the funding you are to receive during each year of your proposed course of study.