Study Permit - Post Secondary Program (with GIC)


The post-secondary program provides a streamlined study application process for students going to any eligible post-secondary institutions and that have obtained a guaranteed investment certificate (GIC).

NOTE: Applicants who are seeking entry solely for English / French preparatory courses and who don’t have a conditional acceptance to designated learning institute in Canada are not eligible for this program. However, you may still apply under the post-secondary program if your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) or conditional LOA requires you to complete preparatory courses before commencement of your academic program.


Eligibility Requirements

To qualify, you must:

  • have been accepted by an eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLI)
  • demonstrate you have the English or French language abilities required by the institution

(Strongly recommended to submit evidence of your English or French abilities. Ex: IELTS, TOEFL or TEF)

  • provide evidence of sufficient financial support for the duration of your studies
  • provide evidence that you have had a medical examination before submitting your application


How to Apply

Application can be submitted online or by paper to a Canadian visa application centres (VAC). As of April 30th 2019, study permit applications submitted through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) must be submitted online.

Application Documents  (for applicants in China)

  • Completed “Application for a Study Permit” (IMM 1294). If your spouse or common-law partner and/or children will accompany you, they need to complete their own application using the appropriate application form.
  • Family Information Form [IMM 5707], fully completed, dated and signed. You must answer every question. If not applicable, write N/A.
  • “Education, Employment and Travel” form for you, your mother and your father, completed in English or French AND Chinese.
  • Your valid passport. There must be one completely blank page other than the last page available in the passport. The passport should be valid for the duration of proposed study in Canada.
  • Two (2) photos. All photos must meet the requirements of the Photo Specifications Appendix. On the back of one photo, write the name and date of birth of the person appearing in the photo.
  • Copy of your national identity document (two sides)
  • The correct processing fee in the acceptable format (refer to the Fee Schedule). Fee is non-refundable. If you need to give your biometrics, the $85 CAD biometric fee covers the VAC service charge.
  • A copy of the medical examination form given to you by the Panel Physician. Please see our website for more information.
  • “Use of representative form” (IMM5476) , if applicable
  • A Study Plan stating:
    • why you wish to go to Canada to study at the school and in the program for which
    • you have been accepted
    • your overall educational goals
    • how this program will increase your employment opportunities.
  • Custodianship declaration from your parent(s) and from the custodian in Canada if you are under 18 years of age.
  • Your original household registration (hukou).
  • A copy of a valid Letter of Acceptance from the Admissions/Registrar’s Office of one of the Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
  • If you are intending to study in Québec: Evidence of a valid Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ).
  • An official copy of your most recent secondary or post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate, and most recent transcripts with a translation.
  • Police certificates: If you are 18 years old or above. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
  • Evidence of the purchase of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating financial institution in the amount of $10,000.
  • Copy of receipts showing payment of tuition fees for the first year.
  • Evidence of your parents’ income/employment: Original letters of employment from the current employer (If either or both of your parents own a business or part of a business: A notarized copy of the business registration)
  • If applicable, please submit your Property Ownership Certificate” and “Motor Vehicle Register
  • If applicable, scholarships/other funding: Original letter containing details of the funding you are to receive during each year of your proposed course of study.